Header taken from "Messenger" - Art by Kurt Vonnegut

Well we've been open for a while now & already had our first Art Show. It was a great success & I can't wait to have more! We've got more cleaning up in the back half of the bottom floor that we should be finished with soon & then we can start on the top floor, again. Our goal is to remodel the small bathroom that is already upstairs, so that we can go ahead and move in! So in about 6 months, we should be living Downtown!!

The Loft
 
Before & After
 
Our Wedding

 

1.25.2006

Title: No Poet Here

Here’s how I see a life of luxury
People should be civil and act civilly
A girl spits on the sidewalk how classy is that?
Well, perhaps not as bad, if in her hands was a bat.

So you want me to get over, you want to pass
Don’t worry I will, but stop riding my ass
Drive that big SUV, drive it all over town
Spend more on gas, then what you’ve already blown.

Teach your kids not to hit, and right from wrong
But then let them watch crap, yes, all night long?
You say you go to church, but you don’t know why?
Perhaps it’s because, you’re just living a lie?

Don’t ask me for advice, I simply have none
I hear words in my head, and out they come
Although stupidly sounding, mixed and spun.
Together I’ll put them, to one day be done.

I don’t ask for much, not for me or mine
I simply want peace for, yes, all of time.
Be greedy and mean or fake on the tube
But know your times coming, perhaps very soon.

As I read over this filth I never once planned.
You must know I’m not a poet, please understand
Words seem to mean more when you have to think
So spend your days in wonder of this little link.

In the rhythm of life, we search for meaning
Not realizing what it means to be truly forgiving
So if you can find it in your heart to do this small task
In yourself you will see, a broken mask.

3 Comments:

  • I like that one! Very good and creative

    By Blogger Kari, at January 26, 2006 10:22 AM  

  • Good poem, Joe! I especially like the lines about teaching your kids not to hit, right from wrong and stuff, but then you let them watch that same garbage on TV. Very true. Did you know I wasn't allowed to watch PG13 movies until I was 13? And during the summers, my sister and I were allowed only 2 hours of TV a day. It was pretty miserable sometimes, but looking back I know why my mom and dad enforced those rules, and I'm really grateful for it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 26, 2006 11:00 AM  

  • Joe,

    Wonderful poem, thanks for sharing! I have to recommend a book that I got for Christmas, "Practical Advice for Beginning Poets" by Ted Kooser (U.S. poet laureate). I am loving it. I had considered putting up some poems on our blog but have lacked the courage...you're inspiring me!

    By Blogger Brian Rhea, at January 29, 2006 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

Mahatma Gandhi    

Plastic Bags Consumed This Year

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge