Header taken from "Messenger" - Art by Kurt Vonnegut

Well we've been open for a while now & already had our first Art Show. It was a great success & I can't wait to have more! We've got more cleaning up in the back half of the bottom floor that we should be finished with soon & then we can start on the top floor, again. Our goal is to remodel the small bathroom that is already upstairs, so that we can go ahead and move in! So in about 6 months, we should be living Downtown!!

The Loft
 
Before & After
 
Our Wedding

 

11.10.2006

The Guardian

Well I promised more pics so here you go :) Thursday I had a really really bad headache and figured some fresh air would help. So i picked up the camera and headed on over to Evergreen Cemetery. I had once heard that the population of Evergreen was greater than the population of Paris, so I Googled. Well for the first time Google didn’t work. I found a few sites that said 40,000 at least 2 sites that said 20,000 and two others that said 18,000 so I have no idea. Anyways...back to the pictures. Okay most people that know me know how big of a chicken I am about everything! And cemeteries are no exception. I'm one of those people that won’t walk across the graves. So you people should feel very loved that I actually went to a cemetery ALONE when it was starting to get dark!!(For some reason the pictures don’t always enlarge with a click so I hope these will)

The first two were some I just walked past while walking around. They were both for young girls. The top one was only 3 and the praying angel was 4 or 5.

And this is the one that got me a little bit freaked out. Yeah I know…it’s just a statue give me a break Kari. But like I said at the start of this post...I'm a chicken!!! :) When I approached this statue I got a much different feeling than the young girl's headstones. This angel, unlike most others, was masculine and sitting. And he wasn’t just sitting down...He was sitting with purpose. He wasn’t just there to look pretty for centuries to come...he was there to watch over this family laid to rest at his feet, as if he was their true guardian angel. The family spot was marked off with a concrete walk and I used that to get the perfect angle. I came upon him from his right, but nothing in the background but clear skies just made the whole picture to bright, so I walked in front of him. And as you can see in the picture he actually has detailed eyes. Most statues like this just have smooth eyes with no detail at all. It was as if his eyes followed me the whole walk across, and as I kneeled with tripod in hand, I just waited for him to break his gaze and blink or turn his head and look at me. I cant even describe the feeling this guy gave me but this is the only picture (other than one with a completely white background) I was brave enough to take. As I walked away from this guardian my hands were shacking a little, but hey maybe the family laid to rest here didn’t want people to linger and mourn them…so they decided to get a statue that would freak them out and run them off!! Worked for me! :) :)

6 Comments:

  • Yeah, there is something about those eyes that would give even me the willies. Good job on the pictures.

    By Blogger Tim and Melissa, at November 11, 2006 7:32 PM  

  • Yes his eyes are very creepy looking but also take a close look at both hands. They look SO real... shaped & contoured. Melissa, I think we ought to call Sam & Dean, whadda ya think?? Very good pics, Kari just wish they would enlarge. I didn't see the detail in his eyes & hands looking at it on your camera. Good job tho!!!

    By Blogger Denise, at November 11, 2006 8:05 PM  

  • Kari, these are wonderful photos. And you're not a chicken. You're just very open and sensitive to things, and that's a terrific quality. I agree that the sculptor of the male, and the family that picked it for the grave, may have wanted the reaction you described.

    They probably didn't want anyone taking photos of it, like you brazenly did, and wanted future trespassers to suspect that evil spirits would be released if they did photograph it. And that these spirits would haunt them for the rest of their days, having camera batteries run out when they least expected. And things of that nature! ;)

    I'm teasing! Great photos! ;)

    By Blogger Dan, at November 12, 2006 8:22 AM  

  • Awesome pictures, Kari. I like the little girl ones best, though. That manly angel is too scary for me!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 12, 2006 8:35 AM  

  • Who are all these nuts wandering about graveyards with a camera ;0)Lock them up I say:0)Don't look at me like that I don't do that kind of thing ;0)

    Good pix I see what you mean all the other angels have their eyes closed apart from him. With a good painting the eyes always follow you around the room and the sculptor managed it there.

    As for the pic enlargement when the pic appears on your post if you move it by clicking and dragging it won't enlarge after that it has lost it's href=" tag. So that it will still enlarge click the edit html tab and you will see the code for the pic just copy and paste it where you want it and it will still enlarge because it has not lost it's href=" tag.

    It should work! You know how long it took me to work that one out!

    By Blogger mirk, at November 12, 2006 6:05 PM  

  • Next time you need to take me to the cemetary with you. I love to wander around there. I guess I'm a freak that way, but I couldn't handle what Sam and Dean handle. To me though, the cemetary is a peaceful place.
    The pictures are great! And as many times as I have been to the cemetary I haven't noticed the manly Gaurdian Angel.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 14, 2006 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

Mahatma Gandhi    

Plastic Bags Consumed This Year

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge