Header taken from "Messenger" - Art by Kurt Vonnegut

Well we've been open for a while now & already had our first Art Show. It was a great success & I can't wait to have more! We've got more cleaning up in the back half of the bottom floor that we should be finished with soon & then we can start on the top floor, again. Our goal is to remodel the small bathroom that is already upstairs, so that we can go ahead and move in! So in about 6 months, we should be living Downtown!!

The Loft
 
Before & After
 
Our Wedding

 

3.14.2006

We have an Infestation!

No, not a roach infestation…..not a termite infestation…..worse….a Bamboo infestation! It’s horrible!! I started working on it on the 3rd, the plan was just let me clean this bamboo up a little and then start finishing painting the house…well then that turned into an all weekend project…mainly just breaking some of the bigger ones and pulling up the really small brand new ones. Well then the 11th I figured cant be much more work to do…now I’ll start pulling down the really big ones and start pulling up some of those roots. Little did I know what I was actually getting myself into! It’s not just like, oh there’s a root…lets pull it up…of course not! It’s actually like, oh man there’s another one!! Lets start Digging it up and oh crap there’s one crossing over so I need to get that one first….man another cross over….gesh how many are there!!!! And it keeps on going and going and going like that! The bamboo first killed my Rose of Sharon and it actually looks like it started to kill it self because there was so much!! There was even a bird that looks like it got trapped in there and died. I’m still not even close to being done and I’ve spent two whole weekends on the mess!! But it is starting to look better…although now I have a huge pile of bamboo in the middle of the yard with no idea what to do with it! Any ideas anyone!?!? Until next weekend it just stands there haunting my dreams….literally! I close my eyes and I see bamboo roots being unearthed!!! I really can’t even put into words how bad it is!! Maybe these pictures will help a little bit…..but it’s much worse than the pictures can even begin to show!!


These are the ends of stalks I have broken off....I had to bend them down and then jump up and down till they cracked then fished cutting them with some tree trimmer things....


Here is the pile of bamboo I pulled down...this was before I finsihed....that pile is like twice as big now!


The line is where the bamboo came out to when I first started. You can kinda tell that it is even over in our neighbor's yard...It runs down her fence and to the other side of her yard also...

3 Comments:

  • Sweet fancy, that's a lot of bamboo!! While Larr and I were hiking up at the cabin we saw some bamboo growing wild...in the freakin' mountains of Oklahoma!! Yeah, everyone says that roaches will be the only living thing left should we be hit with a nuclear weapon. I think maybe we should add bamboo to the list as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 3:22 PM  

  • Just think of all the bamboo things you have access to that you can make by hand... bamboo napkins holders, bamboo plant holders, bamboo wind chimes... hey! Hold on to some of those for me!!! ;) It is looking good... which will you be more glad to see go, bamboo or monkey grass???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2006 9:23 PM  

  • Sorry to tell you this, but it can take years to get rid of bamboo, and if your neighbor doesn't pull it up, it will just keep coming back into your yard. My suggestion is to burn down everything in a five mile radius, salt the earth, and then move to another state and hope it doesn't find out where you went.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 16, 2009 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

Mahatma Gandhi    

Plastic Bags Consumed This Year

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge